Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Dental

Dental problems with an LVAD are not a good thing....  for one thing gum infection bacteria is the worst kind of infection to have... if it gets into the blood stream, it goes straight to the heart......

Larry went to oral surgeon today, after seeing a regular dentist.....   while half of his teeth are not too bad....  his gums are really bad....  like all of his teeth are going to have to come out to get it....  of course, he will be back in the hospital for surgery....   not sure of date, they will check and get back with us tomorrow...

He knows this is imminent....  all now, or go through it again....  not worth taking the risk and then having to do it again...  all is the wiser choice.  He even has one wisdom tooth that is sideways.....  he never knew he had that....

More later...

Edit.....

Our LVAD coordinator, Tori will be in OR during the surgery, will take about an hour.   He will go into hospital the day before, to our same 8th floor to get his blood thinner off, then they will get it back up as soon as it is safe...  Dr Hugh Burnett is the oral surgeon for the heart unit.....  he must be great, cause Tori had him do her wisdom teeth....

2 comments:

  1. I have to go on antibiotics anytime I even get my teeth clean. My cardiologist has a standing order for me on that.......yes due to the infection from oral health can run through so I always ask for it if the dental office forgets to say anything. Keep us updated please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have mitral valve prolapse holosystolic grade 3. Was tough on me during pregnancies but now days I don't notice it mostly.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your post.