Saturday, April 18, 2020

Steps for permanent dialysis...


Information update

On Monday the doctors will put in a dialysis catheter in Larrys neck....  this will allow him to come home when they can find a dialysis center that can deal with his LVAD as well.....

This will be a temporary port, they plan on doing a fistula Y graft in his arm for eventual use, but it takes a couple of months for that to heal...  dont know when that is planned for......  hoping to find out on Monday....  

He is back on iv heparin drip because he cant take his coumadin prior to this surgery/procedure....  such a fine line between clotting and not with his pump....

Cardiologist says his heart/LVAD are doing fine....  and Larry likes the kidney team doctors....  he really is doing well considering...  at least he can see the water, and now that he has his Ipad he can keep up....  



 Catheter 




A FISTULA
A surgeon connects an artery to a vein, usually in your arm, to create an AV fistula. An artery is a blood vessel that carries blood away from your heart. ... The AV fistula is a blood vessel made wider and stronger by a surgeon to handle the needles that allow blood to flow out to and return from a dialysis machine.



2 comments:

  1. That was a lot for me to take in, I cannot imagine how difficult this all is for the two of you. Prayers continue and I think of you all of the time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I am "unknown"...I will sign my comment from now on. I love you!!! Sharon

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your post.